Sunday, April 11, 2010

Limitations and Lounge Acts


The experts say that as a marketing tool the enterprising artists should blog at least every week, if not every other day. That just proves either how terrible I am at blogging or how busy I have been. Consider the later and disregard the former.

Since last I posted I have been running a pop-up gallery at 2501 Parkview Dr in Fort Worth under the name
ARTworks DFW. Pop-up is the term art marketers and hip artists use for a temporary space for exhibition negotiated with the realtor in exchange for beautifying their space and making it more appealing. Some of the artists whose work I have the pleasure of showing along side mine include Robert Berry, James Haddock, Anita McConnell, Michael D. Smith, Eddie Phillips, Linda Little, Sheri Jones, Danny Owens, Nancy Dekolb, and Sleepy Gomez. The property owners liked what I did with space so much that they have purchased several of my pieces, and have improved the space to my specifications while expanding the area in which we can exhibit. So, if the space has not rented, look for a call for additional artists from me shortly.

I managed to squeeze in a couple of lectures at
The Modern, most notably Liam Gillick. Gillick, a minimalist, writer, sculptor, artist, composed a public art project (one of his many) in Japan with uncomfortable seats and a joke about God limiting Himself to the idiosyncrasies of a popular director. The joke actually works better with God and a famous golfer. (Write or call. I will tell you both versions and you can decide for yourself.)

I have also attended an Affinity meeting at the
Haley-Henman Gallery in Dallas. Dr. John Marcucci, the director of the gallery, honored me with his invitation to this meeting at which all the other artists attending had exhibited in that gallery. The speaker at this particular gathering was David Rodriguez (LEED accredited professional and Former Chairman of the board of Directors for the North Texas US Green Building Council.) Dave spoke about his own paradigm shift and considering limitations as a response to the challenges of preserving our planet. He also inspired me to check the VOC (volatile organic compound) numbers associated with the paints I use.

So, there is all this talk about the challenge of limiting ourselves in the creation process, and vast amounts of discussion on creating an exhibit to raise awareness. Now, God is not a minimalist, and since I am trying to be more like Him than Liam Gillick, I am not a minimalist either. However, I know that God does limit Himself in dealing with us, so I suppose that is why I have come up with a new project and a proposal for an exhibit. Instead of limiting the material that artists use, which only stifles creativity, I propose that each artist interested in participating take one of their pieces already created and regenerated it into something else. I do not mean to chop up one of your paintings and use the pieces, although I did something like this. The original image can also be manipulated digitally into something fresh (something else I frequently do.) The bottom line is that we limit the use of new materials by repurposing artwork.

The new project I have undertaken to accomplish this exact concept is something I call
"Underworks." I have found several photo prints of digital collages I have made, sliced them into strips and folded those. I will give you a sneak peek at what I mean.

In addition to everything else I have been working on a non-fiction work concerning the limitations (there is that word again) on creativity imposed by the artist or by other external authorities such as culture, religion, economy etc. Since most of my material is derived from my own experience I have decided to title it (get ready for this biblically inspired doozie) First & Second Kenneth.

Keeping with the Bible motif, I considered the fifth book of the New Testament which we all know as Acts, short for The Acts of The Apostles. In my own case I do more lounging than acting so as I tried to fit that notion into my new book it turned into The Lounge Acts of The Apostles. In the performance piece, Paul would be played by Paul Anka singing "Having My Savior...what totally immaculate way to say you love me."
The standup routine would include the topics of environment. Peter would be talking about how despite the oil situation cars get bigger and bigger. The Hummer, Hummer II, III, the Hummer limo as big as a city block, and the new Hummer Condo. It's six stories, seven counting the wheels and tires with a racquetball court and a laundry room. On the other end of the spectrum, Ford announced its new Mini-Nan. That is not a van. With the help of nano-technology, Ford has developed a totally functional vehicle smaller than the head of a pin. Of course, it has no real market potential, but was commissioned by the Vatican since it can seat six angels comfortably.

No comments: