Monday, July 13, 2009

OToole Studio Origin

I have many questions that fans, family and friends ask me about my work, my process and my philosophy.
Questions like:
Where is this awesome atelier that goes by the name of
O'Toole Studio?
How is it different from any other studio?
How will my life be changed once I visit? and
How much is the guided tour?

O'Toole Studio started in my computer. The first works I exhibited in local galleries were created with PhotoShop. These
digital creations were highly colorful abstract expressionist paintings which were rendered in extremely high resolution and printed on canvas. As limited archival editions of my images they were well received but costly to produce. On mentioning this cost factor I remember my then gallery representative asking me, "So, why don't you pick up a paintbrush for crying out loud?!"

I had pondered this same notion for some time, and with the money from sales of my digitals I proceeded down to the local art supply to buy all the necessary items needed to begin painting. It was at that point that I officially added to the name I had always called myself. Prior to visiting the art supply I had always confidently called myself a writer. I had been writing poetry since grade school, and fiction since middle school. I had been fortunate enough to publish both types of writing since early adulthood. But on that day as I walked down the aisles of the art supply, I knew I was also an artist. I had not dared to call myself this before even though I had sold numerous pieces at two
Dallas / Fort Worth art galleries. Still, in that place I acknowledged the depth of another facet of my creativity because I felt like I was home. I could have stayed in that store indefinitely. But, at closing time they politely asked me to leave.

So, I carried back to my actual home all the materials I could afford. O'Toole Studio expanded from my computer to a wee small corner of a room we rarely used in our housel; the front living/dining room. I meticulously laid tarps and cloth over the carpet and furniture to protect the area. Eventually, I added a drafting table and work tables but still managed to keep the area looking pretty much like it was originally purposed. Then, on one dark day as my mother must imagine, the spirit of abstract expressionism fell upon me and that room has never been the same. Except for the china cabinet which remains covered, the rest is a beautiful mess. The carpet though mostly covered has been through it and may soon be removed. My wife, Barbara insist that she loves my studio being in our home, but my mom keeps asking when I am going to give Barb her living room back. Gotta love my mom.

So, that answers the first couple of questions. As to the last two questions listed here, let me answer simply that the cost of the tour ranges from less than $100 to several thousand dollars. The catch is that you are guaranteed to leave with a beautiful piece of art. That in itself will change your life forever.

No comments: