Monday, July 6, 2009

Staying Motivated

Now, I know what some of you are saying. Yes, that's my secret agent listening device you found under the lamp your auntie gave you, and not her long lost hearing-aid. You're saying, "Ken, if you are concentrating on production of assets (as mentioned in your last article) won't you be sacrificing the quality and ultimate beauty of your work?" The short answer is an emphatic "NO." After all the work wouldn't be much of an asset if the aesthetics were not of the highest possible caliber. I wasn't talking about going into "factory" mode and just cranking out the crap. I am a Dallas/ Fort Worth contemporary abstract artist, not a machine. What I was trying to convey was the concept of producing work of high quality at a steady or increased rate.

Don't say it. I know only too well the difficulty in accomplishing this, and in my observations there are two primary hindrances to maintaining high quality fine art at a constant or elevated rate. The first problem lies in the ability to stay motivated. So, the question changes from how do you maintain aesthetic integrity to how do you keep your drive alive. The other issue is staying focused on the priorities of an artistic profession.

First, let me say that the work itself is generally of sufficient interest to keep me working. It is its own reward. I thoroughly love painting, drawing, working with various design elements, writing, reading, and to a lesser degree editing. In fact I enjoy all of these aspects of my work so much, that lack of time and energy rather than diminished desire pulls me away from creating. Each of these activities requires immense amounts of physical and emotional stamina to sustain meaningful productivity. Also, the culprit of divided focus compounds this energy loss issue because it increases emotional burden by luring thoughts toward the unattended activities.

You're saying, "By George Foreman's Grill, that's the same problem I've been having. What is the solution, Ken?"

Well, if you've read all the motivational books (or at least listened to all the audio books) like I have, you know that as tempting as it seems; the reward model does not always work. Granted, goals and rewards have their place and individual thresholds for extended success by utilizing them vary. Still, unless the rewards can be exponentially increased, eventually their power to generate effort wanes. All the models ultimately point to the fact that motivation must come from within the individual to be permanent.

Now you're tapping your fingers impatiently and there's even a little stress growl in your voice, "We know that, KEN. So, what's the bloody solution!?"

The answer is simpler than you might have imagined. Allow me one more minor digression in order to explain.

Long before I began painting abstract art, I endeavored to have good music piped in wherever I was working. It alleviated stress and made the day go by faster. Basically, this is the "whistle while you work" principle, and it has been widely proven effective. Wait, wait...don't roll your eyes just yet.

Naturally, I found that various music styles affected the rhythms in my paint applications, especially jazz and electronica on my action paintings. However, when I began listening to movie soundtracks, amazing things began to happen.

While listening to film scores every aspect of my day takes on a more intensive meaning. The most mundane tasks seem to be vitally important. I round corners gingerly, acutely aware of my surroundings. I am much more agile, and with the right pair of sneakers (or kicks if you must) I can run faster and jump higher.
What's more, since I've added 007 scores to the mix, my wife has enjoyed the benefits of being a "Bond Girl."

What's wrong? Cat got your tongue? Well, go ahead if you don't believe me. Try it for yourself. You will see a "dramatic" improvement in your "performance", especially when the fate of the world hangs in the balance. Or are you just going to say, Dr. No? I hope not.

Ken O'Toole is a Dallas / Fort Worth contemporary abstract artist, specializing in abstract expressionism and action paintings.

No comments: